Pages

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

First Impressions

Well, now that I've been in Colorado for just over 24 hours (that's it?), I thought it'd be good to update everyone on how things are going. (Check out my Facebook for some pictures!)

After some complications on our second day of travel (sickness and a damaged front bumper at a gas station in Kansas), we arrived in almost one piece in beautiful Estes Park, Colorado at around 4:30 MT.

The scenery in Colorado is certainly awe-inspiring, as advertised. We are surrounded by snow capped mountains and as we were driving in, we saw three fully grown elk just kinda chillin by the side of the main road at the YMCA. I'm gonna have to get used to that, I guess! Even though it has been a bit rainy and cold here for the first couple of days, it's still just awesome to look around and see how great God's creation really is.

I have been really excited to come to Colorado for the last couple of months, but the first 24 hours have kind of been an up and down emotional experience for me.

Mostly, I'm confused because I have no clue why God sent me here. I feel in my heart that I am supposed to be here this summer, but He hasn't really shown me the specific reason why I am here yet. Maybe I'm here to make awesome friends, improve my evangelizing skills, push myself out of my comfort zone or grow really close to God. Heck, maybe it can be all of those.

I'm praying that God can show me how to best spend my time this summer. There are so many opportunities here which can make it kind of overwhelming, but I'm sure that there is a reason I am here and I trust that God will make this a very productive summer in preparation for my senior year.

Bt dubs, I just got back from the first meeting with my project group, which was fun. We ate dinner, heard a crazy story about some A&M people's car accident on the way to LT (everyone is safe!) and played some Catch Phrase. Our group is cool so far and I can't wait to see how God brings us together this summer!

Oh, I also found out that my official job for the summer will be working at the Rustic Cafe. It's kind of a Starbucks-type place on the YMCA grounds which seems like a nice place to work and was my most preferred job. PTL!

4 comments:

  1. So funny story... A friend of mine who I worked with last summer at Camp Cho-Yeh was in the A&M group that had the car accident, I think. Is one of them Nichole? If you meet her, tell her I said hey. :)

    -Allie

    ReplyDelete
  2. "we saw three fully grown elk just kinda chillin by the side of the main road at the YMCA."

    haha, such Jason language right there. I can just see you saying that. Hope you guys are having a great time. 110 ain't the same without either of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Toombsy haha... I knew you would appreciate that comment. Miss you guys in CoMo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will definitely get used to the elk and then laugh at the tourists who stop to look at them.
    I can totally related to the "I don't know why I am here" sentiment. Been there for sure. I'll just say if you ask God to show you, he will! Miss you! Have fun :)

    ReplyDelete